Monday, March 28, 2011

TO THE FLOWER POTS!

Today, Kerrie and I ventured to the famous "Flower Pots" in Hopewell Cape, NB. It's been years since I've seen them. In fact, I think I was probably only 10 or 11 years old the last time I was there.
The "flower pots" as they're called, are tall free standing sand stone towers which have been carved away over a bazillion years of 16meter tide erosion. That's right.... this place has a 16 meter tide! One of the largest tides in the world.
After walking around the cliffs for about an hour, we came to the huge set of metal stairs that go down the cliff side to the beach bottom below. However, because the area is closed right now, the bottom section of stairs is chained up and off the beach. Luckily there was an old rickety wooden ladder down the back side and we used that to get to the beach level.
Once you are on the ocean floor, you can walk around these monstrous towers, walk under them and it's really quite neat to see the caves carved into the cliffs from the water. It's a beautiful spot in the summer, although, this is the only time I had to be here, so this will have to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment